Friday, June 20, 2014

A work in progress...

When I arrived in Salt Lake City on the 31st of last month, I still had about two hours of research time I could indulge in at the library before it closed at 5:00pm.

I decided to just look at the bygdebøk for Amund's side of the family, as I can't seem to get the book inter-library loaned at home. I spent the first half hour just trying to make heads or tails of the information and where I needed to start to find Amund himself.

Then, finally found him.

Now I could start working my way backwards, of course I also only had about an hour left to research. Here is his entry, [this digital image has been annotated by me for my own reference]:


Notice that his name in this publication is spelled Oddmund. I believe the church record of his birth has a similar spelling.

Unfortunately over the week that I was in SLC I only had short spurts of time I could spend looking through the book, so I never actually finished my research on Amund, but I was able to go back to the 1600s in several line's as I could for Jorgina's family.

Looks like I will have to go to the Madison Norwegian research center. I hear they are great.

Google maps has a 'live' view of the area of Norway that Amund lived so I am including two shots of each side of the road where Amunds' family came from. After looking at these images I can imagine the appeal of living in Duluth for Amund, and working on the docks, he had water in his veins.




I have indicated 'Here' on the map to show the side of the fjord/inlet where Amund's family came from, they lived up and down this waterway.


No comments:

Post a Comment