Thursday, July 17, 2014

It's always the quiet ones...

It happened when I was doing a search for Fred Hamm in the Duluth papers. A headline that always popped up during previous searches that I would vaguely notice and then promptly ignore.

Search entry result from genealogybank.com.

This time, for some reason, I payed more attention to it. So I clicked to read the entire article.



Then my brain started to slowly process what I was reading and it turned into one of those OMG, no this can't be, moments where I couldn’t believe my eyes. Emil G. Hamm. Wasn’t my great uncle Emil’s middle name Gustav? So I did a quick check of my database and sure enough, yes Emil’s middle name was Gustav.

Hmmm. 1910. I decided to check the census record:


And I quickly found him. As an inmate of the state reformatory. The age is right, the birth place is right, his parents birthplace is right. Yep! No doubt about it this is my Emil.

And we all thought he was the quiet, no trouble son.

...more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment